CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The 2024 SNAG Conference will be in San Diego, CA! Known for its year-round mild weather, miles of beaches, and family-friendly attractions, San Diego is also one of the world’s largest binational metropolitan areas. Economically, culturally, and politically tied to its sister city Tijuana, Mexico the region boasts a combined population of 5 million people and many impressive examples of cutting-edge bilateral collaborations. San Diego/Tijuana has been designated the World Design Capital for 2024, the first binational designation.
SNAG values the opportunity to collaborate and engage with our community, and our in-person conference is an incredible event that aims to reflect the diversity of interests and perspectives that compose our multifaceted field. If you are interested in sharing your voice at next year's conference, SNAG invites you to submit a conference presentation proposal.
When formulating your proposal, consider the 2024 conference theme Links as a point of reference and reflection. We seek conference programming that in some way addresses the broad concepts of connection, community, or collaboration. We hope to highlight work that exemplifies the impulse to unite, explores connections that transcend boundaries, exhibits acts of cooperation, or builds bridges – whether across physical or imagined borders, media or material, cultures or language. We seek proposals that cover a range of approaches, including artist talks, artist demonstrations, scholarly research, and panel discussions.
DATES AND DEADLINES:
Call opens: July 8, 2023
Call closes: October 31, 2023 (11:59pm PST)
Conference Dates: June 5-8, 2024
The conference programming will include selected proposals and invited presenters. Applicants will be notified by email after the call closes and a thorough review of proposals is complete.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: If chosen to present, your commitment to SNAG will be meeting all deadlines as outlined in your signed agreement, including but not limited to the following:
- Written and visual documentation (e.g. brief bio, description of the talk, and headshot)
- PowerPoint presentation
- All necessary information regarding your presentation (e.g. AV requests, completed contracts, timely email responses, etc)
- Being physically present to give your presentation at the conference. SNAG will provide a complimentary full conference registration and honorarium to all presenters. Presenters are responsible for travel and lodging expenses associated with attending the conference.
CRITERIA: All presentation proposals will be evaluated by SNAG using the following criteria:
- The topic engages with the 2024 conference theme Links.
- The focus is well conceived and developed, and thoughtfully articulated.
- The proposal compliments and enhances the rest of the selected proposals and planned programming.
The 8-Year Rule
*An eight-year rule applies to the selection of all speakers. This means that once a person has been a SNAG Conference presenter, eight years must pass before they can present again. If you presented in 2016 or after, you are not eligible to present. This policy was put in place to ensure diversity in our conference programming. On rare occasions, if the Board of Directors deems it appropriate, exceptions can be made to the 8-year rule.
All proposals MUST include:
- Phone number
- Email address
- Working presentation title
- Proposal abstract - 200 to 400 words
- Resume or CV
- Images of presenter’s work or research and/or in support of the presentation topic, not to exceed 10 images total.
- Only include images that will strengthen the proposal
- PDF, jpg, or png documents only
- 300 dpi, high-resolution images.
- Images must be labeled Last Name_Title_2024. Example: Smith_Untitled1_2024.jpg
If you have any questions or need more information, please reach out to SNAG Director Brienne Rosner at firstname.lastname@example.org